John Bunyan 1628-1688
In 1628 John Bunyan was brought to Elstow church to be baptised in the font which is still in use today. As a boy he played with other local children on the green. He knew the church well, attending there for over twenty years.
The foundations of his religious knowledge were built in Elstow Abbey, but his faith came directly from the scriptures, and its strength, in due course, led him out of the church doors and into the open countryside, where he spoke to the people in the freedom of the fields.
The small Bunyan chapel, which serves also to honour those who suffered through imprisonment in the Far East during World War II, commemorates the achievements of this brave and simple man.
Above the original altar he knew so well is a window (see above) celebrating his greatest book “The Pilgrim's Progress” and on the other, north, side of the church and also facing east is one depicting the triumph of good over evil the theme of “The Holy War”.